Newcomer Information

© Universität Bremen/Gurlit


If you need a student visa to enter Germany it will be issued by the German representation in the country of your residence. Tourist visa cannot be used for a residence permit as student in Germany!

If you enter Germany with any other visa than a “study visa”, German authorities will sent you back to your home country to apply for the appropriate visa there!

For further details click on Formalities for International Students (check the information provided under „visa“).


What are the average prices for e.g. accommodation, health insurance, food, clothes etc. in Germany? For further information please check our university’s information on cost of living.


There is no “tuition fee” associated with studying at the University of Bremen. However, students have to pay a semester fee (twice a year). This fee includes special transportation (providing a regional public transportation ticket to the student) and also University administration fees. At present, students have to pay this amount (scroll down to semester contribution).


Our program does not provide financial support or scholarships.

The University of Bremen participates in the program "Deutschlandstipendium".
This program supports selected students with € 300 monthly.

Students who need a full scholarship should check e.g. the following webpages (please note that the application deadlines are usually about one year before you start to study):

- DAAD (scholarships)
- Universität Bremen (look for „scholarships”)
- myStipendium (external page with information about scholarships / in German)

Experience shows that students have better chances of gaining sponsorship if they apply early and from their country of origin.


For your enrolment at a German university you have to provide a proof that you have a German health insurance contract. Students who are younger than 30 years (and have not finished their 14th university semester in Germany) may join one of the many German compulsory health insurances. Membership is currently around € 110,00 per month (close family members (wife, children) who live in Germany are included).

Students who are 30 years plus or have finished their 14th semester may join a compulsory health insurance only under certain conditions.

Furthermore, there are many private insurance companies that provide a big portion of the services of a compulsory health insurance. The prices for a membership vary and family members have to be insured separately. Accident insurance, liability insurance and luggage insurance are sometimes included.

For additional information click Formalities for International Students (check the information provided under „health insurance“).

If applicable, you should check with your local insurance company for an interim (travel) insurance.


Try to find a room before you arrive in Bremen.

There are several ways to get a room/an apartment, e.g.

- apply for one at the “Studentenwerk”, the local organization that manages the student dormitories
- via local newspapers, the online platform of the City of Bremen, via estate agencies, private landlords or flat communities etc.

Please check our university’s information on housing (dormitories + private room search).

Visit our university’s Welcome Aboard page and find a lot more information on the a.m. points plus additional information about registration & residence permit, work etc..